Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Somebody will show you the Zulu King....

Today is Mardi Gras. It's so strange that no one really knows what today is, but in Louisiana it is so huge. I remember having school off on Monday and Tuesday. Then getting my ashes on Wednesday. It was so common to see people everywhere in town with the black smudge on their forehead. I remember trying to decide what to give up for lent. The biggest sacrifice was when I was 7 and gave up I Dream of Jeannie. God knew my faithfulness on that one. I gave up soft drinks one year, and that was pretty hard. I'm not Catholic anymore even though my mother would say I am whether I like it or not. It's like a race not just a religion. Maybe tomorrow I'll go the the Catholic Church here in Keystone and get my ashes. I wonder if I still can?

I guess the most important thing is to know what you believe. To have something. I have experienced people lately that have seemingly nothing on the inside. Just a void with some meanness floating around. That is sad and almost impossible to me. My hat is off and my heart is toward anyone that has the courage to believe. To go beyond what you see and hope that there is more. I say hope because we truly only know all things when this is over.

Happy Mardi Gras to Mama and Papa Louque. To Paw Paw and Mama Toon. To my daddy who made believing so important to me. Thank you with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment