Monday, June 01, 2009

A Hub. A Good Thing.


Summer, my friend, got me thinking. So I will think and type.

Some of you know my friend Carole. Carole Sue Turner. I met her as Carole Smith. She has been my steady great friend for over 23 years. She is a wonderful wife and mother. If you read her blog, The Wardrobe and the White Tree, you know she is an advocate for adoption and helping the needy in every way. She has a beautiful daughter, Evangeline and two boys, Abel and Steele. Her husband Dean is the hottest man alive, according to her.

I knew Sue, as I call her, when she still slept every night with her stuffed dog, Frodo. She was 18, but I know she slept with him for years after that. She was single and didn't have a car, but I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone get around as much as she managed to. Incredible. She is a cleaner. I LOVE when Carole stays with me for long periods of time. My dishes are done, laundry done, and my furniture gets moved around. She's a force.

I have so many friends that are a direct result of knowing Carole. She is what I call a "hub". The center of a wheel and many of us are spokes. Such a good thing. She doesn't even try, but Carole connects people just by flitting around doing her thing. I even get to know her family from Okeechobee, and they are the most hard core, fun, party animals I have ever seen. I'll put them up against anyone. You cannot hang with these people. I love them.

The best part about Carole, besides the fact that she loves me, is her imperfections. That's right. Not all her good deeds. It's her ability to be absolutely "Carole" and just let you see all of her. I have always said "there is no Secret Carole." You get the whole thing. All of her. I can love that with my whole heart. And I do.

3 comments:

  1. u made me cry, that is freaky nice..I don't know what to say really cept' the love flows right back to you from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen, It's Carole's Mom in Okeechobee. You need to come down and do some Karaoke with us sometime. We would love to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too. I love that about her, too. She is the most "real" person I have ever known and her heart is in the right place.
    Very thankful to have this "hub" in my life! =D

    ReplyDelete