Thursday, January 21, 2010

Evan




Evan so far
January 21, 2010

It was about 1:oo in the morning when it all began. We had gone that day to pick up Kandi and Micah from the Jacksonville Airport and then spent the day watching movies and hanging out. We lived in the trailer on Granny and Papa’s property. We lived in the middle of nowhere. Of freakin’ nowhere.

Anyway, I planned to have you at the Birth Center in Gainesville. Andrew was born there, and the midwives were awesome. So, back to the labor. You emerged very quickly. I had one contraction, then suddenly another. I realized this was going to be fast, and we all loaded up and headed to Gainesville. I remember thinking that the pain was way too overwhelming so early in the labor, and I was trying to figure out how I was going to do this. When we got there I found out that I was completely ready to give birth. That explained the intense pain. And so you were pushed out into the world. Evan Louque Harvey. My fast birth.

You were a thumb sucker. I loved that because I am lazy and thought it was wonderful that you could always console yourself. You also loved to wrap hair around your fingers while you sucked your thumb. This got on my nerves when you plucked hair out of the nape of my neck for your purposes. You did that a lot.

You and Micah used to fight so much. You hated each other. This caused some arguments between me and Kandi (if you can imagine). I am so glad the two of you love each other now. Kandi and I survived, too.

You talked in articulate sentences sooner than any of the others. You also always attracted girls. It was weird, but girls in the play land or the park would always want to hold your hand or play with you. I felt like this would be trouble one day.

We started calling you Rooster when you were still in diapers. It started as Evan Roo, then Rooster. It fit you well. You always had a confidence or an attitude. Not a bad one. Just a presence. You will always be my Rooster.

When we moved to Florida, you started playing baseball and football more seriously. I got to watch you move up and play with the big boys more times than I wanted to. But you kept up every time. I was always happy to see you with guys your own age, because I knew you were more than ready.

The Krush days were great. You were catching and every game I sat right behind the plate. (Where you could hear my big mouth.) I loved every minute of it and would do all of that over again. I love watching you play ball.

You are compassionate, smart, strong, hard working, and unselfish. I am more proud of you everyday. I am most proud of your honesty to me and your great sense of humor. You are not afraid to say you are wrong. You are perfect to me. You can look at people and know how they feel, and that is something I have tried to instill in you since day one. You are a success in the most important ways. You love your family, your friends, Chelsea, and ME!! I could not ask for more. I don’t see you nearly enough, but there is no bigger Evan fan. No one. There is no one that loves you more or is willing to die or live for you. There is nothing too big or difficult. We will find a way. You dream it. I will drive you there.

I love you with all of me, son. Please know that I am in your corner. I will always be here in some way. You cannot do anything to make me love you less. Nothing. We are going to make mistakes. It’s ok. Brush your knees off and keep going. Happy Birthday. I thank God for you. You don't need to look, think, or act like me. I like you being you. Whatever that may look like. You are my boy.

Love, Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment