Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Who's the best?


It's just a game. I know that. But I admire the dedication so much. Maximus, I have been entertained.

Evan's last football game of his childhood is tomorrow night. He has been playing since he was 8. I can honestly say I have loved every minute of it. Except the concussion. That was freaky.

There is something honorable in giving yourself wholly to something. Sacrificing your sleep, strength, so much time, and your pride to be part of a cause. I have watched Evan and so many other boys suffer in August. I mean bear crawls in wet grass in Florida as the temperature rises at around 11 AM. I have never seen them give up. It is the most amazing life lesson I have ever watched. My son knows how to get harshly reprimanded and respectfully carry on. He got to take snaps from his brother Andrew and Tyler Jolley, throw to Ryan Latner, defend with Coach Wayne Gieger, and so cool, team up with his best friend Chase Julius the whole way. 1 to 7. I called it early on. Eat it, haters.

I have cried a few times already. There have been some last times for this and that. But tomorrow is the end of something. I love it all. Thank you Kim, Miss Toni, Linda, and so many others for the hilarious, wonderful, unforgettable times. It is a huge part of my life that I would not change.

 And Jenny Jenn. We knew. I love you with all my heart, and more than that, you know I love your boy with all my heart. Thank you for the pictures, the fun, and the spirit. I am better for all of it. There is no one else hanging on every snap with me like you. We are always expecting, hoping, willing the big one. The long pass, the pressure, tuck it and run, the joy in their countenances. Best thing in the world. The sideline prayer, overtime under the lights, practices by headlights.  I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I don't need Heaven. I have lived it. My heart is so full.

Thank you, son. You have been a joy through the whole thing. Just thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment