Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Home

Carole recently wrote some things about her home that got me thinking. The idea of home. The place where your heart is and all that jazz. Fireplaces, food, love, safety, comfort. Home.

Geographically, Baton Rouge, LA has always been my home. It still is. Those streets belong to me. The buildings, grocery stores, houses. The way it feels in September when the football drum cadences are playing, the sky in October, seafood specials on Fridays, the collective let the good times roll spirit. Home. Even if I never go back, it will always live in me.

But home is more to me. I have always considered myself to be home for my children. The center. I realize that will end, and it has already begun. My sweet kids don't orbit around my light as much as they used to. It's OK, I think. It better be. I know I will always be steadfast for them. Like my own mom.

For a long time I felt displaced. My kids are always home, but my heart also belongs to Tracy now. He is home to me, too.  Love, safety, comfort. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment